Wednesday-el cuarto dia


Attachments area
Today was an amazing day with Shaniah and Kate. Excited to look at what is living in the bromeliads. We walked the jungle Trail to mark bromeliads to sample, and about halfway through, Shaniah saw animals running from a stream ravine. We saw two coati-mundis, a jaguarundi, I believe we heard a peccary, and I saw what I think was a puma walk slowly and then leap up the hill at the very end of this entire incredible mammal event.  we immediately turned around and headed back to the main part of the biological station instead of being close to this large cat! It was one of the most remarkable wildlife sightings I've had in my visits to Costa Rica.  We ate lunch in the field at the overlook point and saw over 100 vultures circling in the sky in the distance in a tall tornado formation. I've never seen such a large vulture assemblage before.  Halfway through lunch, a large palm tree shed a very large palm frond that hit us over the head, but luckily I had my arm up to deflect it and only got ants and palm particles in my lunch (no injury!).  We devised a turkey baster method to sample the water and invertebrates from the bromeliads, and processed the samples when we got back to the lab.  Tomorrow we will set up camera traps over the bromeliads to monitor animal usage and we will also set up a camera trap where we saw those animals in the ravine!! Really fine day

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday el quinto dia

Sunday first day